What is the framework for?
The Hockey for Life framework is an integrated, holistic and longitudinal framework for everyone involved in hockey in Wales. It has been established to allow all participants (players, coaches, officials, umpires, volunteers, educators and administrators) to engage with the sport and help Hockey in Wales to grow and excel.
As with any framework, the design must also be closely aligned with the overarching aims of the sport, the aims of the Hockey for Life framework are provided below:
- To create a holistic framework for all (players, coaches, officials, umpires, volunteers, educators and administrators) to engage, grow and excel in Hockey, one system for all
- To establish and promote a bespoke 'Welsh Way' of playing and delivering hockey, providing a shared vision for players, staff and parents and ensuring greater consistency in delivery
- To create a player-centred, development driven and competition supported system, designed to permit talent to thrive. Prioritise Talent Development over Talent Identification reflecting the dynamic nature of player development
- To provide a longitudinal development framework for both domestic and international talent.
Watch our 'Hockey for Life' videos and find out more
Why is the framework needed?
In order to provide a clear, consistent pathway for all those wishing to be involved in the game and to develop a 'welsh way' which allows potential to grow and succeed under a clear philosophy. The philosophy is all about being person centered, development driven and competition supported, meaning we aim to develop the person (players, coaches, officials, umpires, volunteers, educators and administrators) to achieve their potential in the best way we can. In addition, the framework will permit a holistic and longitudinal focus on player development and encompass all areas of player development such as technical, tactical, physical conditioning, sport psychology and lifestyle over a period of time.
- In essence we are all creating a pathway, which embraces talent development and in doing so achieves the following underpinning philosophical factors of talent development systems:
- Create 'stretch' for players within the framework and move towards assessing learning rates.
- Move away from snapshot trials and competition based assessment and de-emphasize winning as the marker of success.
- Develop intrinsic motivation & commitment to the long-term process of total player development and encourage increased player responsibility in personal learning & development.
- Establish a monitoring system for all players, to effectively record and review personal achievement and progress, including technical, tactical, fitness, mental and lifestyle characteristics of developing excellence and prepare and support players through transitions in their development.
How can I get involved?
As a player, coach, official, umpire, volunteer, educator or administrator you can get involved throughout the pathway, depending on your abilities, experience and desire.
See the rest of our website to learn more about taking part in any aspect of the pathway from social hockey to international representation. The website will be added to over the coming months so if you do not find what you are looking for or would like to talk to us please contact us on 0845 045 4303 or email email@example.com